Compare Cheap Flights from Cairns to Wellington, New Zealand
Looking for cheap flights to Wellington from Cairns? Use Webjet's deal finder to help you compare flights, carriers and seating classes all year round. You'll be sure to find the right flight to match your budget, plans and travel preferences.
Flights: Webjet Servicing Fee: Domestic $21.95, NZ/Pacific $24.95, International $32.95. Booking Price Guarantee: Domestic $12.95, NZ/Pacific $14.95, International $21.95
Varying payment fees are included in the price breakdown on Webjet’s checkout page, once your payment method has been selected.
Flight prices are indicative, based on passenger numbers and may vary dependent on your individual flight dates. Prices were found by customers on the date in the right hand column labelled "Last Search Update" and may vary. Complete a new search to view live pricing.
A Guide to Wellington
Know Before You Go
- Sign up for a free walking tour. You'll be able to learn about Wellington's history, architecture and culture from a local guide. It's one of the best budget-friendly activities you can do in the city!
- Visit the Zealandia Sanctuary. You'll be able to see the nocturnal kiwi birds in their natural habitat on one of the after-hours guided tours.
- Head to Courtney Place for a pub crawl. It's where you'll find Wellington's best bars and nightclubs all within walking distance from each other.
- Discover why Wellington is New Zealand's cultural capital. Don't leave the city without visiting its plethora of museums, art galleries, and live music venues.
- Prepare yourself for the icy wind. October is usually Wellington's windiest month so make sure you bring enough warm layers to beat the chill.
Getting Around Wellington
Do you like exploring a destination on foot? Then you'll love Wellington! It's considered one of the world's most walkable cities and is only two kilometres in diameter.
But if you need to get around faster the city has a range of public transport options:
- Use a ride sharing app. Uber is cheaper than normal metered taxis in Wellington. To save money, use the Uberpool option to share your ride with someone else and split the cost.
- Buy a Snapper card. You can get a day pass and get unlimited use of the city's interlinked network of buses, trolleys, cable cars, trains and ferries. For a shot of the city from above, take the cable car up to the Botanical Gardens.
- Hire a bike. If you want to see the city at your own pace, you can rent a bicycle. A full day rental starts at NZD 70.
- Rent a car. If you want to explore attractions outside of the city, you'll need a vehicle. Rentals can be picked up at the airport or from agencies in the CBD.
Best time to visit Wellington
When is The Best Time to Visit Wellington?
If you want to avoid the crowds, the best time to visit Wellington is during its shoulder season (February to March). The weather is still warm, and prices for hotels will start to drop. The days are also longer giving you more time to explore the city and its surrounds.
Wellington is at its quietest in the winter months (June to August). With temperatures dropping to below 0 degree Celsius, most travellers stay away. But if you don't mind bundling up, you'll find plenty of accommodation deals during this period.
The city's busiest time of year is from December to January. If you want to get your first choice hotel, be sure to book your room a few months in advance to avoid the rush and lock-in cheaper rates.
Airports in Wellington
Wellington International Airport
Wellington International is one of New Zealand's busiest airports. It connects the city to a range of domestic and international destinations. The airport is also a hub for the country's regional airline Air New Zealand.
Getting to and from Wellington International Airport
If you're exploring Wellington on a budget, the cheapest way to get from the airport to your hotel is with the Airport Flyer. The bus departs for the city centre every 10 minutes from 6:30 a.m. to 9:00 a.m. and 02:00 p.m. to 07:00 p.m. and 20 minutes at all other times. Fares start at NZD 9, and the bus stop is to the right of the baggage claim area.
For travellers that prefer taking a cab, you'll find the taxi ranks outside the main terminal. A trip from the airport to the CBD costs NZD 30-40 and takes 15-20 minutes depending on the traffic.
Another affordable way to get to your hotel is with the airport shuttle service. A single trip costs NZD 20, and you can book your spot when you arrive or through the airport's online portal.