Compare Cheap Flights from Melbourne to Sydney, Australia
Looking for cheap flights to Sydney from Melbourne? Use Webjet's deal finder to help you compare flights, carriers and seating classes all year round. You'll be sure to find the right flight to match your budget, plans and travel preferences.
Flights: Webjet Servicing Fee: Domestic $21.95, NZ/Pacific $24.95, International $32.95. Booking Price Guarantee: Domestic $12.95, NZ/Pacific $14.95, International $21.95
Varying payment fees are included in the price breakdown on Webjet’s checkout page, once your payment method has been selected.
Flight prices are indicative, based on passenger numbers and may vary dependent on your individual flight dates. Prices were found by customers on the date in the right hand column labelled "Last Search Update" and may vary. Complete a new search to view live pricing.
Cheap Melbourne to Sydney Flights
Sydney is one of Australia's and the world's most iconic cities. With its famous Opera House and picturesque Sydney Harbour, a stop here is a must for those classic Aussie Instagram shots.
Whether you're visiting Sydney for business or leisure, getting there will be the least of your worries. There are 595 direct flights between Melbourne and Sydney each week with four different airlines. Book your flight with either Qantas, Tigerair, Jetstar or Virgin Australia.
Flying is also the fastest way to get from Melbourne to Sydney. The average flight time is 1h 20min, giving you more than enough time to arrive, check into your hotel and explore the city.
Ready to book your window seat to The Harbour City? Here's a quick rundown of what you need to know for your flight from Melbourne to Sydney.
Departing from Melbourne Airport
Getting to Melbourne Airport
To get to Melbourne Airport you can catch the public bus. Routes 478, 479, 482, and 901 all connect passengers to Melbourne Airport. All buses stop at the ground level of the transport hub outside the terminal 4 forecourt.
If you need to get to the airport late at night or early in the morning, you can take the 24-hour Melbourne SkyBus. It runs every 10 minutes from the CBD to the airport at a flat rate of AUD 19 one way.
Catching an Uber to Melbourne airport? Drivers can drop you off anywhere along the Departure Drive, and the T4 Transport Hub drop off zone on level 1.
For travellers that want to park at Melbourne Airport, you have three options. Choose from the budget Value Car Park, the convenient Long Term Park and the premium Terminal Car Park.
Which Domestic Terminal Will Your Melbourne to Sydney Flight Depart From?
Melbourne Airport has four domestic terminals.
- Go to Terminal 1 for Qantas flights to Sydney.
- Virgin Australia domestic flights depart from Terminal 3.
- Jetstar and Tigerair flights run out of Terminal 4.
Each domestic departure terminal boasts ATMs, lounges and free WiFi for all passengers. You can also grab a snack at one of the dining options or do some last-minute shopping.
Arriving at Sydney Airport (SYD)
Getting from Sydney Airport to Your Hotel
- The quickest way to get from Sydney Airport to the city is with the train. The trip is only 13 minutes, and trains leave every 10 minutes from 5:00 a.m. to midnight 7-days a week.
- For travellers on a tight budget, the most affordable way to get into the CBD is with the public bus. Hop on board Route 400; the service stops at the T3 Domestic terminal and fares cost only AUD 5.60 one-way.
- If you don't want to use public transport, you can find taxis outside each domestic terminal. A one-way trip costs between AUD 45 -55 and takes 20 minutes to reach the CBD. If you prefer using a rideshare service like Uber, wait for your driver at the priority pick-up area.
- If you want to hire a car, head to the arrivals level at T2 and T3 Domestic terminals. You'll find six car rental companies to choose from offering deals to suit any budget.
Things to Do in Sydney
- Sydney is a vibrant metropolis that is full to the brim with exciting attractions.
- Need to cool off? Head to the city's famous beaches like Bondi and Manly. Or if you prefer to explore the ocean, make your way down to Sydney Harbour and hire a boat for the day.
- No trip to Sydney would be complete without visiting some of its most iconic landmarks. Make room in your itinerary for the Sydney Opera House, the Sydney Harbour Bridge and Mrs Macquarie's Chair.
- For museum lovers, the city won't disappoint. Spend an afternoon exploring the Art Gallery of New South Wales or the Australian National Maritime Museum.
- And once you've had enough of the city, escape the hustle for a few hours by strolling through the Royal Botanic Gardens.
Sydney, Australia - Kingsford Smith Airport (SYD)
Sydney Airport is the busiest airport in Australia. Find out more about Kingsford Smith's terminals, rental car providers and accommodation with Webjet's useful guide to Sydney's Kingsford Smith Airport.