Compare Cheap Flights to San Diego, United States
Looking to soak up some of that famous San Diego sun? Check out Webjet's latest deals, find a flight that fits your budget and get ready to discover America's Finest City.
*Prices on this page are subject to change without notice, perform a search to view live pricing. Prices are inclusive of taxes and airline surcharges. Webjet flight fees per booking: Webjet Servicing Fee: Domestic $21.95, NZ/Pacific $24.95, International $32.95. Booking Price Guarantee: Domestic $12.95, NZ/Pacific $14.95, International $21.95. Varying payment fees are included in the price breakdown on Webjet’s checkout page, once your payment method has been selected.
Cheapest time to fly to San Diego
Best upcoming flight deals
Cheapest Price to San Diego
Currency used in San Diego
Average Time to San Diego
Current Time in San Diego
Average Temperature in San Diego
Average Rainfall in San Diego
See more of San Diego
The Best Time to Visit San Diego
To find the best deals on cheap flights to San Diego, plan your trip around the city's two shoulder seasons. From March to May (spring) and September to November (autumn), you may be able to find discounted airfare tickets to San Diego and low hotel rates. Spring is also the best time to visit the city if you want to see the flowers blooming.
You can attend major events like the Coronado Flower Show (one of the biggest flower shows in the US), which is held every year at the Carlsbad Flower Fields. One thing to keep in mind is that May and June are notorious for being the wettest months of the year.
If you're planning to buy flights to San Diego over this period, pack warm clothes and rain gear. June to August is when San Diego shines. During the summer months, the city hosts the popular Comic-Con International event that attracts thousands of die-hard fans to San Diego. If you want to attend, it's a good idea to buy your airfare to San Diego as soon as possible.
You'll also need to also budget for an increase in hotel rates, and you won't be able to leave your booking to the last minute. Winters in San Diego are mild. While it will be too cold to go to the beach, you can still explore the city's top attractions such as Balboa Park and soak up San Diego's vibrant nightlife.
Top Things to Do and See in San Diego
Balboa Park is one of San Diego's top attractions. Inside the 1,400-acre site, you'll find plenty of museums, historical buildings, and beautiful gardens. Some of the highlights include the Museum of Natural History, the Museum of Man and the San Diego Museum of Art. If your flights to San Diego land and it's a gloomy day, Balboa Park is the perfect place to explore until the weather clears up.
Go on a Craft Beer Tour
San Diego is a mecca for craft beer lovers and is why a lot of people buy flights to San Diego every year. You can sign up for a formal brewery tour, or you can visit some of the city's most popular tasting rooms by yourself. Stone Brewing, Ballast Point, Rough Draft, and Mission Brewery all deserve a spot on your itinerary.
Visit the Markets
No matter when your flights to San Diego arrive, you'll be able to find a street market. North Park, Ocean Beach Farmers Market, Little Italy, and La Jolla Open Aire Market are the most well-known. You can expect delicious food, fresh produce and artisanal crafts.
Soak Up the Nightlife at the Gaslamp Quarter
If you want a taste of San Diego's nightlife, the Gaslamp Quarter is where you'll find the best clubs and bars. Whether you're looking for a sophisticated wine bar or you want to dance the night away at OMNIA or Fluxx, there's something for everyone.
Hit the Beach
San Diego is famous for its beach scene. If you're booking flights to San Diego for travel over the summer months, don't miss out on spending a few hours soaking up the city's coastal beauty. Some of the top beaches in San Diego are Mission Beach, Pacific Beach and Ocean Beach.
San Diego Neighbourhood Overview
Deciding where to stay in San Diego will affect the type of holiday you'll have in the city. Once you’ve booked your flights to San Diego, take a look at this neighbourhood overview before you finalise your hotel reservation.
- Balboa Park-Hillcrest: Stay here if you want to be within walking distance of San Diego's museums. The neighbourhood is also known for being an LGBTQ-friendly community and has a bohemian vibe.
- Coronado Island: Coronado Island is a resort town. There are many beautiful houses to choose from and idyllic views over the city. Once your flights to San Diego arrive, give yourself extra buffer time to get to your hotel as Coronado is notorious for its traffic jams.
- Gaslamp: For young travellers buying return flights to San Diego, stay in Gaslamp to keep your finger on the pulse of the city's nightlife.
- Little Italy: Little Italy is an Instagrammer's dream. The neighbourhood is full of trendy restaurants, coffee shops, and cute cocktail bars. Plus, it's only a short 7-minute ride from San Diego International Airport (SAN).
- Mission Beach-Pacific Beach: Mission Beach is another popular neighbourhood in San Diego for nightlife. If you don't want to stay too close to the bars, look for a hotel in Pacific Beach.
- Point Loma-Ocean Beach: Point Loma and Ocean Beach are picturesque beach towns. There are a few hostels in the area making it an excellent choice for budget travellers buying cheap flights to San Diego. You can expect trendy boutiques, quiet beaches, and a laidback vibe.
- North Park: For craft beer lovers buying return flights to San Diego, the neighbourhood of North Park is the perfect place to base yourself. There are quite a few craft breweries in the area as well as coffee shops and diners. Plus, you can take the local bus or trolley system from San Diego International Airport (SAN) to get to your hotel if you’re on a budget.
- La Jolla: If you're looking to splurge, book your airfare to San Diego and stay in La Jolla. It's an upscale neighbourhood where most hotels average around $200 ($280 AUD) per night. La Jolla boasts an impressive view of the city's coastline and some of the best seafood restaurants in town.