Compare Cheap Flights from Townsville to Launceston, Australia
Looking for cheap flights to Launceston from Townsville? Use Webjet's deal finder to help you compare flights, carriers and seating classes all year round. You'll be sure to find the right flight to match your budget, plans and travel preferences.
*Prices on this page are subject to change without notice, perform a search to view live pricing. Prices are inclusive of taxes and airline surcharges. Webjet fees per flight booking: Webjet Servicing Fee: Domestic $21.95, NZ/Pacific $24.95, International $32.95. Booking Price Guarantee: Domestic $12.95, NZ/Pacific $14.95, International $21.95. Varying payment fees are included in the price breakdown on Webjet’s checkout page, once your payment method has been selected.
^Flight prices are indicative, based on passenger numbers and may vary dependent on your individual flight dates. Prices were found by customers on the date in the right hand column labelled "Last Updated" and may vary. Complete a new search to view live pricing.
A Guide to Launceston
Know Before You Go
- Visit East Launceston’s “eat street”. On High street, you’ll find food vans parked here selling a variety of delicious eats. It’s a popular spot all-year around but especially in the summer evenings.
- Go to Cataract Gorge Reserve. It’s only a short drive from Launceston, and it’s home to a unique natural formation. It’s an excellent place for swimming, a morning run or to have a picnic.
- Go on a walking tour. The city has guided walks that will take you past the historic Colonial and Victorian architecture as well as explaining the role the city has planned in Australia over the years.
- The water is safe. You can fill up your water bottle straight from the tap without having to worry about getting sick.
- Get online for free. Australia is known to have painfully slow and expensive internet. If you need an internet connection, the city offers free public WiFi in the CBD. You can also go to your nearest Maccas (McDonald's) and use their free internet as well.
Getting Around Launceston
- Take the bus. The city has an extensive bus network that runs across the city. If you buy the Rover Pass, you’ll have unlimited travel after 9:00 a.m. There is also the free Tiger Bus service that goes past some of the main points in the city such as the Queen Victoria Museum, the Aquatic centre and the city park.
- Grab a taxi. If you need to get somewhere fast, hail a cab from the side of the road or call ahead to pre-book your ride.
- Explore the city on foot or with a bike. Launceston is relatively flat, and many walking paths throughout the city will take you past the main attractions.
- Rent a car. If you prefer having your own way to get about you can hire a car at the airport or from one of the companies in the CBD.
Best time to visit Launceston
When is The Best Time to Visit Launceston?
The best time to visit Launceston is either in the city’s spring (September to November) or summer months (December to February). The weather is warm, with cool nights and rains are at a minimal.
But the perfect weather means it's high season in Launceston. Expect prices for hotels to be expensive, and campervans and camping grounds to sell out. Plan ahead by booking your flights and accommodation a few months in advance.
If you want to escape the crowds, plan your trip for either autumn (March to May) or winter (June to August). As the temperatures start to drop, the city empties out, and you’ll have all the attractions to yourself.
Rain is common during these months, so make sure you pack an umbrella. But if you don’t mind the less than perfect weather you’ll find great deals on accommodation and flights.
Airports in Launceston
Launceston Airport is the fastest growing in Tasmania and the second busiest in the state. It operates daily flights to Melbourne, Brisbane and Sydney with regional airlines Jetstar, Qantas and Virgin Australia.
Getting To and From Launceston Airport
There are no public transport options that run between the airport and the city.
The best way to get to your hotel is to take a taxi or use the airport shuttle.
The taxi rank is located outside the arrival terminal exit, near the baggage claim area. A one-way trip costs between AUD 35-40 and you can use the Smart Hail App to pre-book your ride.
There are also select Launceston hotels that provide an airport shuttle. It costs AUD 15 for a single trip, and you’ll be dropped off outside your accommodation.
Car hire options are also available at the airport. You’ll find six car rental company desks just after the baggage claim area.