Compare Cheap Flights to Christchurch, New Zealand
Experience the natural beauty of "The Garden City" for yourself. Check out Webjet's latest deals, compare leading airlines and book your trip to Christchurch, New Zealand!
*Prices on this page are subject to change without notice, perform a search to view live pricing. Prices are inclusive of taxes and airline surcharges. Webjet fees per flight booking: Webjet Servicing Fee: Domestic $21.95, NZ/Pacific $24.95, International $32.95. Booking Price Guarantee: Domestic $12.95, NZ/Pacific $14.95, International $21.95. Varying payment fees are included in the price breakdown on Webjet’s checkout page, once your payment method has been selected.
^Flight prices are indicative, based on passenger numbers and may vary dependent on your individual flight dates. Prices were found by customers on the date in the right hand column labelled "Last Updated" and may vary. Complete a new search to view live pricing.
A Guide to Christchurch
What To Know Boarding Before Flights to Christchurch
- You can't sleep at the airport. If you have early morning or red-eye flights to Christchurch, you'll have to book a taxi closer to your flight's departure time.
- Book your accommodation in advance. Hotels, hostels and apartments fill up fast. Avoid disappointment by confirming your booking at least three days in advance, even if your cheap flights to Christchurch fall during the quieter months.
- Buy the Metrocard. If you're going to be in the city for longer than a few days and using public transport a lot, you can save up to 25% on fares with this card.
- Go on a bus tour. Christchurch has a few with routes that extend beyond the city centre. You'll find ones that take you to the beach or Port Hills, making it easy to explore more of the region without hiring a car.
- Get online for free. If you've run out of data, head to the nearest library, McDonalds or Starbucks and catch up on your emails or messages without having to pay for extra WiFi at your Christchurch accommodation.
Getting Around Christchurch
- Hit the pavements. If you want to save money to compliment your cheap airfare to Christchurch, the best way to explore the city is to walk or cycle. Bicycle rentals start at $30 NZD for a full-day rental.
- Hop on-board the tram. Christchurch has a historic tram that every visitor needs to try at least once. Day tickets start at $25 NZD for unlimited rides around the city.
- Take the bus. If you want to explore areas outside of the CBD, the public bus has an extensive network. Fares start at $2.55 NZD.
- Other options include metered taxis, ridesharing services and the city's environmentally friendly Green cabs.
Top Things to See and Do in Christchurch
You have booked cheap return flights to Christchurch and now you’re looking to plan your itinerary. Discover the city’s English heritage, and learn about Christchurch’s more recent history with a visit to Quake City, the museum documenting the effects and aftermath of the 2010 and 2011 earthquakes. Wander around Christchurch Botanic Gardens – the largest inner-city park in New Zealand – or float down the Avon river with a relaxing punt. Track down a sighting of New Zealand’s emblematic Kiwi at Willowbank, a wildlife reserve located about 10 minutes’ drive away from the city. The chance to see this elusive creature up close may well make the flights to Christchurch worth it for avid animal-lovers or bird-watchers. Use an airfare to Christchurch as the excuse you need to discover the wider Canterbury region too; ascend to the summit of Aoraki/Mount Cook, travel to Lake Tekapo, or see Tasman Glacier from aboard a scenic boat ride.
How Much Time to Spend in Christchurch
One of the most appealing reasons to book cheap flights to Christchurch is that this city lends itself as an incredibly flexible holiday destination. It can be explored as part of a wider New Zealand holiday, or you may choose to book return flights to Christchurch and stay within the city/region limits. Flights to Christchurch from Melbourne take six hours with one stopover, while a direct airfare to Christchurch departing out of Sydney has a travel time of just three hours. This makes Christchurch a convenient option for a week away. Spend a couple of days maximising your tickets to Christchurch by thoroughly exploring everything the city has to offer, and then choose to branch out into the wider Canterbury area. The short travel time between Australia and New Zealand might even be enough to make you consider booking cheap return flights to Christchurch for a spontaneous weekend away – especially when you know you’re saving money on your airfare by booking with Webjet.
What is the Best Time to Visit on Flights to Christchurch?
The best time to visit Christchurch depends on what you want to do. If you want to spend your holiday on the beach, book tickets to Christchurch for travel between December to February. The city has more than 40 nearby beaches, and temperatures hover at a comfortable 22°C. But these summer months are high season, so it is wise to lock in flights to Christchurch in advance in order to get the best airfares. You'll also need to book your hotel of choice a few months in advance. To experience why it is called "The Garden City", book your cheap flights to Christchurch anytime between September to November. The city's gardens will be in bloom and transform it into a kaleidoscope of colours. The high season tourists have yet to arrive, meaning you'll have fewer crowds at the top attractions. Another beautiful time of year to visit Christchurch is during autumn. Organise an airfare to Christchurch from March to May, and enjoy the city streets full of leaves and temperatures peaking at 18 °C during the day. Hotels begin to drop their prices as the weather gets colder, making this period a top choice for deal hunters looking to add extra savings to already cheap flights to Christchurch available on Webjet. Winter (June to August) attracts extreme sports enthusiasts. Travellers from near and far come to tackle Christchurch's 13 ski slopes and relax in its natural thermal pools.
Airports in Christchurch
Christchurch International Airport (CHC)
Christchurch International Airport (CHC) is located 12 km from the CBD. It's New Zealand's first international airport and is the second busiest in the country. It's a hub for regional airline Air New Zealand and handles more than 1000 flights each week.
Getting to and from Christchurch International Airport (CHC)
The taxi stands are located outside the arrival terminal. A one-way trip costs $45 to $65 NZD and will take 15 to 20 minutes depending on traffic. You'll also have to pay an access fee of $5.50 NZD. One of the cheapest ways to get into the city upon arrival on your tickets to Christchurch is with the Airport Hopper. It's a free bus service that runs every 15 minutes between EconoPark and the international arrivals terminal. The airport shuttle service is another affordable option for travellers with return flights to Christchurch. It's cheaper than a taxi, and you'll get dropped off outside your hotel. You can find the shuttle bus rank outside the arrivals hall. If you aren't in a rush to get to your final destination, you can take the local bus. Tickets cost $8.50 NZD or $15 NZD for a return. The buses leave the airport every 30 minutes and depart from the northern end of the CHC International Arrivals Hall. There are also car rental services available for travellers who prefer having their own set of wheels.