Compare Cheap Flights from Newcastle to Canberra, Australia
Looking for cheap flights to Canberra from Newcastle? Use Webjet's deal finder to help you compare flights, carriers and seating classes all year round. You'll be sure to find the right flight to match your budget, plans and travel preferences.
|Departure Date||Last Updated^|
*Prices on this page are subject to change without notice, perform a search to view live pricing. Prices are inclusive of taxes and airline surcharges. Webjet fees per flight booking: Webjet Servicing Fee: Domestic $21.95, NZ/Pacific $24.95, International $32.95. Booking Price Guarantee: Domestic $12.95, NZ/Pacific $14.95, International $21.95. Varying payment fees are included in the price breakdown on Webjet’s checkout page, once your payment method has been selected.
^Flight prices are indicative, based on passenger numbers and may vary dependent on your individual flight dates. Prices were found by customers on the date in the right hand column labelled "Last Updated" and may vary. Complete a new search to view live pricing.
Cheapest time to fly to Canberra
Best flight deals in August
Cheapest Price from Newcastle to Canberra
Currency used in Canberra
Average Time to Canberra
Current Time in Canberra
Average Temperature in Canberra
Average Rainfall in Canberra
See more of Canberra
A Guide to Canberra
Know Before You Go
- Save money on transport. Purchase the MyWay card, and you'll get discounts for rides on the local bus. The cards can be bought from shops around the city.
- You don't need to tip. While it is appreciated, Australia does not have a tipping culture. However, if you feel you received excellent service, you can leave a small tip for your server or taxi driver.
- You can drink the tap water. Canberra gets its water from the nearby Namadgi National Park. It's treated to national standards and is safe drink.
- Canberra uses AC 240 volts, 50 Hertz and the standard three-prong electrical plug. You will need to bring or purchase adapters if your voltage differs for your appliances.
- Get free internet. The city has free public WiFi available in the city centre, and surrounding precincts Users get access to 250 MB per day, per device.
Getting Around Canberra
- Take the bus. The ACTION buses are an affordable and convenient way to explore the city. The Tourist Loop will take you past some of the city's most iconic attractions such as the Australian National Botanic Gardens and the National Museum of Australia. There is also a free city loop (route 101) to help you get around.
- Hire a bike. Canberra is known for its network of cycle paths and mountain bike trails. Hire a bike from one of the shops in the CBD and explore the city at your own pace.
- Hit the pavements. While you can't explore the entire city, it's possible to see some of Canberra on foot. Go on a self-guided walking tour and discover the city's hidden gems for yourself.
- Hail a taxi. The city has metered cabs and ride-sharing services like Uber. With most attractions only a short distance from each other, it's an affordable way to travel around the city.
- Rent a car. If you prefer having your own set of wheels, you'll find car rental desks at the airport or in the CBD.
When is The Best Time to Visit Canberra?
The best time to visit Canberra is in spring (September to November). You'll find warmer temperatures and the landscape will be in bloom. It's the perfect time for outdoor adventures like hiking, and there is little chance of rain to ruin your plans.
December to February is the city's summer months. The weather is hot making it an ideal time to indulge in water sports. There's also plenty of festivals to attend such as the National Multicultural Festival and the Summernats Car Festival.
Due to school holidays and the weather, this is one of the more popular times to visit the city. Book your airfare and accommodation in advance to lock in lower prices before they skyrocket.
If you're looking for cooler weather, visit Canberra between March and May. The temperatures start to drop, and the landscape is transformed into hues of red, gold and orange. There is also a packed events calendar with the Canberra Hot Air Balloon Festival and Celebrate Canberra in March.
Winter is the cheapest time of year to visit Canberra. As the temperatures plummet, the city empties out, and you'll be able to find great deals on airfare and accommodation. But don't let the cold keep you locked inside your hotel room all day. There's plenty of winter activities to keep you busy.
Airports in Canberra
Canberra Airport serves the capital city of Australia and is the eighth busiest airport in the country. It operates direct flights to the state capitals as well as Newcastle, Dubbo and the Gold Coast. The airport also has direct international flights to New Zealand and Singapore.
Getting To and From Canberra Airport
The cheapest way to get from the airport into the city is with the public bus. Take either route 11 or 11A for only AUD 4.80 each way.
Metered taxis are located outside the arrivals terminal. A one-way trip into town costs between AUD 45-54.
You can also use Uber at the airport. Meet your driver at the Express Pick-up car park and use the free WiFi to request your ride.
Car hire desks are located inside the arrivals terminal. You can choose from six car rental companies to help you with your travelling needs.