Compare Cheap Flights from Sydney to Cairns, Australia
Looking for cheap flights to Cairns from Sydney? Use Webjet's deal finder to help you compare flights, carriers and seating classes all year round. You'll be sure to find the right flight to match your budget, plans and travel preferences.
*Prices on this page are subject to change without notice, perform a search to view live pricing. Prices are inclusive of taxes and airline surcharges. Webjet fees per flight booking: Webjet Servicing Fee: Domestic $21.95, NZ/Pacific $24.95, International $32.95. Booking Price Guarantee: Domestic $12.95, NZ/Pacific $14.95, International $21.95. Varying payment fees are included in the price breakdown on Webjet’s checkout page, once your payment method has been selected.
Flight prices are indicative, based on passenger numbers and may vary dependent on your individual flight dates. Prices were found by customers on the date in the right hand column labelled "Last Search Update" and may vary. Complete a new search to view live pricing.
Cheap Sydney to Cairns Flights
Want to ditch Sydney for a trip to Cairns - Australia's adventure capital?
With 72 flights a week between the two cities, you won't have a hard time finding your perfect route. The average flight time from Sydney to Carms is only 3 hours and 20 minutes, meaning you'll be snorkelling in the Great Barrier Reef in no time.
Hop on board with either Qantas, Virgin Australia, Jetstar or TigerAir and get ready for an unforgettable adventure.
Here's everything you need to know about flying from Sydney to Cairns!
Departing from Sydney Airport
Getting to Sydney Airport
The quickest way to get from the city to Sydney Airport is with the train. Take the T8 Airport Line, just remember to top up your Opal Card at the station before you hop on board. Trains run every ten minutes from 5:00 a.m. to midnight 7-days a week.
For budget travellers, the cheapest option is to take the public bus. Route 400 stops at the T1 International and T3 Domestic terminals and only costs AUD 5.60 one-way.
If you don't want to use public transport, you can take a taxi or a ridesharing service to the airport. A one-way trip takes around 20-minutes from the CBD and costs between AUD 45-55.
Parking at Sydney Airport
If you want to leave your car at Sydney Airport, save money by booking online. You'll get a cheaper rate, and you won't have to waste time finding a spot.
Which Parking Option is The Best for You?
- P1/2 are perfect for short business or weekend trips to Cairns. The lot is only a 5-minute walk to the domestic terminals and check-in counters.
- If you're planning a longer trip in Cairns, park your car in P3. It's only an 8-minute walk from the terminals, and you'll get a discounted daily rate.
- For budget travellers, the cheapest parking available is at Blu Emu. It's a 15-minute bus ride away from the terminals, but you don't need to spend money on a taxi. Simply uses the complimentary shuttle that runs 24 hours a day between the lot and the airport.
Arriving at Cairns Airport
Getting from Cairns Airport to Your Hotel
The best option for frugal travellers is the Airport Connect bus service. It will take you to the north, and southbound Sheridan Street bus stops where you can transfer to a Translink bus to get into the city. Tickets cost AUD 4 to the station and AUD 2.20 to Cairns City.
If you want to use a ride-sharing service like Uber, follow the Ride-Booking signs. The pick-up point is located in the T2 Domestic zone at the north end of the public pick-up lane.
For direct transfers to your hotel, use the shuttle service. It leaves every hour and costs around AUD 15-17 depending on your destination. For backpackers, if you stay at selected hostels you can get return rates for as low as AUD 10.
The taxi ranks are located in front of each terminal building. Keep in mind that you will have to pay an additional charge of AUD 4.40 if you use this service.
There are also six car rental companies in the Arrivals Halls of T1 and T2.
Things to do
Things to Do in Cairns
- No trip to Cairns would be complete without a stop at the Great Barrier Reef. It's the perfect destination to explore Australia's world wonder and discover it's underwater heritage.
- Get your adrenaline fix and go white water rafting. Cairns is home to some of the country's best rapids. Choose your level and spend a day tackling the hair-raising rivers.
- Plan your trip to Cairns between May and September. Each year, 35% of the world's cetacean species visit. It's the best time of year to spot a plethora of whales and dolphins with their young.
- Go out at and experience the city's nightlife scene. You'll be spoilt with choice in Cairns, and if you're lucky, you might even be in town for one of the international DJ shows.