It has been a hard year for Victoria’s regional communities. The January bushfires and then the imposed travel restrictions have shuttered local townships, and their economies – many of which rely heavily on seasonal or year-round tourism – have borne the brunt.
With the chance to travel back on the cards for many Australians, the opportunity to throw our support behind these communities has never been better. The best way to do that? Plan a trip. No matter if it’s for half a day, overnight or longer, your visit is all part of the effort to regenerate those communities who are doing it tough. So how do you know where to go, what to see and what to experience? Take your cues from those who have been there, done that: past visitors and other in-the-know travellers. Heading the advice of locals is always a good idea too, because who knows their region better than them? Follow in these footsteps to discover the top cellar doors of the Yarra Valley or Mornington Peninsula, the most beautiful beaches around Geelong and the Bellarine, or the walks and lookouts around the Macedon Ranges – and tell your friends and family about your time away when you return home.
Be inspired to visit one of Victoria’s beautiful regional towns by seeing what awaits below and start planning your trip today.
Yarra Valley & Dandenong Ranges
- Places to keep in mind: Healsville, Yering, Olinda, Belgrave, Seville, Coldstream
Daylesford & Macedon Ranges
- Places to keep in mind: Hepburn Springs, Woodend, Mount Macedon, Kyneton, Clunes
- Places to keep in mind: Mornington, Portsea, Sorrento, Dromana, Flinders, Cape Schanck
Geelong & The Bellarine
- Places to keep in mind: Clifton Springs, Portarlington, Queenscliff, Ocean Grove, Barwon Heads
Great Ocean Road
- Places to keep in mind: Torquay, Anglesea, Lorne, Cape Otway, Port Campbell, Apollo Bay
When to go & weather:
- High Season (December - January): Festivals, summer events & packed beaches
- Shoulder Season (February - March): Quieter with late summer warm weather
- Low Season (April - November): Ski-season, whale watching & mild weather
Find local accommodation in Victoria