Portland is Happening Now
Webjet's Destination Guides
Set against the backdrop of snow-capped Mount Hood, vibrant Portland offers a quirky yet cosmopolitan atmosphere with friendly, small-town warmth. Recognized for being one of the most livable cities in the United States, Portland is surrounded by natural beauty.
This hip, eco-focused city is known for its distinctive neighborhoods, beautiful gardens, craft beer, indie music scene, great shopping (there’s no sales tax in Oregon!) and restaurants whose chefs insist on local, sustainable ingredients to build their menus.
Portland is just an hour from Mount Hood, a short drive from dozens of Pinot noir (and other varietals) producing wineries, an hour-and-a-half from the rugged Oregon coast and within 45 minutes of the Columbia River Gorge National Scenic Area.
Come to Portland and discover abundant opportunities to enjoy world-class arts and cultural offerings – plus easy access to outdoor activities, including hiking, rafting, bicycling, windsurfing, snow-sports and more!
- Winter getaway: Create your perfect winter escape when you combine the wonderland of Mount Hood with hip, urban Portland, just an hour away. Enjoy world-class skiing, snowboarding and more on the mountain, then head into the city where you can shop, eat and drink with absolutely no sales tax.
- Beer: With 67 breweries (more than any other city on earth) and new locally crafted beers being tapped each day, it’s no wonder Portland is nicknamed “Beervana.”
- Tax-free shopping: Whether you’re in the market for a big purchase from a designer brand or looking for that perfect handcrafted souvenir, Portland has it — with zero sales tax.
- Food: Surrounded by fertile farmland and fresh produce, Portland is brimming with the country’s most ambitious, talented and inspired chefs, who often allow their weekly farmer’s market hauls to dictate their menus.
- Outdoor adventure: On top of amazing winter sports, you’re just an hour away from windsurfing on the Columbia River or beachcombing on the rugged Oregon Coast — or you can hike or bike abundant, forest-lined trails without leaving the city.