The Northern Territory is a destination that relies heavily on tourism. Its spectacular national parks, one-of-a-kind experiences and iconic landmarks lure travellers from far and wide. The recent travel restrictions, however, have seen tourists to these locations come to a standstill and as a result, the communities, businesses and economies built around these places are also suffering.
Now, with previous restrictions beginning to lift, we can turn our attention to travelling once again – in particular to those regions that need us the most. Supporting those in the Northern Territory is as simple as booking a trip. Staying and exploring locally means your help goes straight to those who are doing it tough and whose livelihoods have been affected by these uncertain times. The opportunities that await in the NT are as diverse as the territory itself. Book guided tours to see the rock art galleries in Kakadu National Park, or the parks that surround Katherine and Alice Springs. Snack on international street food and buy locally made crafts from the famed Mindil Beach Markets in Darwin or get up-close to some of NT’s toothiest and scaliest residents with river cruises to see crocodiles anywhere around the Top End. And when you’re looking for more ways to discover the Northern Territory, the best way to do that is by tapping into local knowledge and the experiences of other travellers – be it following their tips or using their holiday happysnaps for your cues.
Inspiration on where to go and what to see around the Northern Territory is below. Check out what awaits before booking your NT trip today.
Uluru (Ayers Rock) & Surrounds
- Places to keep in mind: Watarrka National Park/Kings Canyon, Yulara, Kata Tjuta (The Olgas)
Darwin & Surrounds
- Places to keep in mind: Litchfield, Coomalie, Palmerston, Tiwi Islands, West Daly
- Places to keep in mind: Mary River, Jim Jim, Yellow Water, Jabiru, Ubirr, Cooinda, Maguk
- Places to keep in mind: Nitmiluk National Park, Pine Creek, Top Springs, Roper Gulf, Victoria Daly
Alice Springs & Surrounds
- Places to keep in mind: MacDonnell Ranges, Simpson Desert, Davenport Ranges National Park, Ilparpa Valley, Rainbow Valley
Tennant Creek & Barkly Region
- Places to keep in mind: Barrow Creek, Newcastle Waters, Renner Springs,
When to go & weather:
- High Season (June – August): Generally dry conditions, lots of tour options.
- Shoulder Season (Aprril - May, September - October): Fewer visitors and generally fine weather.
- Low Season (November – March): Regular heavy monsoon rains, many tours not running. Very hot temperatures in the south.
Find local accommodation in the Northern Territory